Sunday, July 29, 2007

Illustration Friday: Poem

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918

So when I told my wife I was doing a tree for the 'poem' post, she said, "Oh, yeah... 'I think that I shall never see...' Hmm. A little trite, wouldn't you say?" I agreed. Then I secretly looked up the actual poem. Had never really been acquainted with the whole thing.

Maybe one level up from trite.

Anyway, I offer this is tribute to the wonderful California coastal oak trees that dot our hillsides.

Peace to all of you, tree-huggers and otherwise.

4 comments:

AndyDoodler said...

Not 'trite'-- 'tree'!
Love the colors, textures and design!
The poem ain't bad either. Now I have the song that goes with it in my ear.

valerie walsh said...

yes, this really does look like the hills in CA with the oaks scattered about, my favorite sight to see! You did an exquisite job on the colours, the perspective and I like how it looks like a reflection!

DINTOONS said...

very beautiful illustration!
and LOVE the poem!! :o)

Kim de Young said...

I am really glad you didn't let something like a last week friday deadline stop you from posting this awesome tribute to the Oak Tree. My husband and I are moving from the bay area to Oregon in the next month and I am going to miss the golden and sometimes green rolling hills and the oak trees. One of my very favorite places to be is the Ohlone Wilderness in Sunol where you become gentle friends with these amazing trees.

Our living room is all different mediums of art all depicting the oak tree. (Except one Baobab tree painting from Geninne).